"I have gathered a posie of other men’s flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own." --John Bartlett

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"I hold another creed; which no one ever taught me, and which I seldom mention; but in which I delight, and to which I cling: for it extends hope to all: it makes Eternity a rest--a mighty home, not a terror and an abyss. Besides, with this creed, I can so clearly distinguish between the criminal and his crime; I can so sincerely forgive the first while I abhor the last: with this creed revenge never worries my heart, degradation never too deeply disgusts me, injustice never crushes me too low: I live in calm, looking to the end." --Helen Burns in Jane Eyre

I decided that while on vacation this year, I would attempt a second reading of Jane Eyre. I tried once before, but failed; partially due to the hard-to-decipher copy I was using and the timing of when I tried to read it (on the bus home from 3 exhausting weeks at camp). I got a new copy, and am delighted at the ease at which it is going. The character that says this particular quote is but thirteen, but her spirit is sweet and true, despite her very hard reality. What an inspiration.