"I have gathered a posie of other men’s flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own." --John Bartlett

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"I'm thinking about going back and getting my PhD. I want to build a fusion reactor and not have it be a bomb." --Dad

The conversations my dad and I have when we go out to dinner together cover an astonishingly wide variety of subjects and I generally learn a LOT. I still remember the day we were at Arby's (I was, what, eleven?) and he taught me about prime numbers. Good stuff. Last night we were at Taco Bell and out of the blue he says this. This fueled (no pun intended) a long conversation about higher education, how graduate and doctoral programs differ between the sciences, etc. Another gem from that conversation: "There's a B.S.--we all know what that is. And M.S. is More of the Same, and a PhD is Piled Higher and Deeper." Awesome.