"I have gathered a posie of other men’s flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is mine own." --John Bartlett

Thursday, December 30, 2010

"I think I'll keep my hemorrhoid cream...we're getting older, you never know when it'll come in handy." --Pete Hoffman

I wonder how White Elephant gift exchanges came about? Did someone decide that they wanted a socially acceptable way to pawn some of their I-don't-want-this-but-it's-still-too-nice-to-throw-away stuff? I'm still pondering this question, especially after my experience last night with it. Get a whole bunch of college age through adults together in a room and have them all bring a white elephant gift--definition undefined, by the way. 'Useless to you, or useless to everyone else'. Big range. Which is how our leader ended up with hemorrhoid cream (and kept it, mind you), and I ended up with men's Depends. Ah Christmas traditions--it's a beautiful thing.